These Vegan tacos were one of the BEST and most flavorful vegan meals I've cooked in a long time.
· 8 oz sliced mushrooms, white button or cremini
· 1 Tbs ground ancho pepper (I used a chipotle pepper chicken rub to add a little kick)
· 1 Tbs mild chili powder
· 1 Tbs ground cumin
· 1 tsp each – salt, coriander, dried oregano
· ½ tsp each - garlic powder, dried thyme, smoked paprika, cinnamon
· 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
· ½ cup toasted walnuts
· 2 Tbs lime juice
· 16 small corn tortillas (I Use low carb Trader Joes whole wheat for less than half the calories)
· Vegan Chroizo (I like Trader Joes brand)
Heat olive oil or avocado oil spray in saucepan. Add mushrooms and sauté 8-10 min until browned. Add 2 Tbs organic veggie stock as you go when they begin to stick. Cool completely.
Combine all spices in a large bowl.
In a food processor, pulse walnuts, lime juice, chickpeas and mushrooms until chopped. Add to seasonings in a bowl. Add extra splash of lime juice and let stand 20 min.
Warm skillet with a little more olive oil or avocado oil spray. Cook vegan chorizo until almost done and add chickpea mixture and cook about 5 min more.
Warm tortillas in the oven and serve. Garnish with chopped cilantro and red onion. Add lime wedges and any other topping like avocado, sour cream, salsa.