CHICKPEA, SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE CASSEROLE
· 1 ½ cups long grain or basmati brown rice
· 2 ½ cups water
· ¼ tsp fine sea salt
· 1 medium yellow onion, diced
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· ½ tsp fine sea salt
· Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· ½ tsp chili flakes
· 1 ½ tsp dried rosemary
· 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
· 1 cup artichokes in brine (drained before measuring, chopped)
· 6 packed cups spinach, chopped
· 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 14-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
· 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
· ½ cup vegan parmesan*
· ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (such as Chosen Foods vegan mayonnaise)
· ½ cup fresh herbs (I like basil or parsley)
· 1 medium garlic clove, minced
· 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Start by cooking the brown rice: To a medium saucepan, add 2 ½ cups of water. Rinse and drain brown rice through a fine mesh sieve. Add to the pot along with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and lightly fluff with a fork.
2. Spray bottom of a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 8 minutes. Add 2-4 Tbs vegetable stock as veggies begin to stick until they are cooked through and brown. Add the pepper, rosemary, thyme, chili flakes, artichokes, spinach, chickpeas, cooked brown rice, balsamic, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil and scoop the rice and chickpea mixture into it. Top with ½ cup of vegan parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the aioli by blending together vegan mayonnaise, garlic, herbs, and lemon juice.
6. Serve the casserole warm, with extra parmesan and aioli on top.