These are absolutely delicious. You're getting the delicious healthy fat from the avocado and protein from the black beans! Serve the up with some chips and salsa and a big green salad for a full meal.
For the spice mix:
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1 tsp paprika
· 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
· 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder (or use cayenne pepper or chili powder to taste)
· 1/4 tsp garlic powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
For the vegetables:
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 bell pepper sliced into strips
· 1 small zucchini or yellow squash diced or cut into quarter-moons
· 1 small red onion thinly sliced
For the smashed avocado:
· 2 ripe avocados mashed well
· 1 lime juiced
· salt and pepper to taste
To assemble, cook, and serve the vegan quesadillas:
· 6 flour tortillas (use corn if you are gluten free)
· 1 16-oz can vegetarian refried beans (1.5 cups) (I love Trader Joe's brand)
· chopped fresh cilantro
· 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil divided
· salsa for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-heat high. Get the spice mix ready by adding all of the spices to a small bowl. Once the oil is hot, add the bell pepper, zucchini, and red onion.
2. Cook the vegetables over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until nicely browned and softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute more, or until fragrant; remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Stir the lime juice into the mashed avocado. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Fill your vegan quesadillas. Take a tortilla and lay it flat. Onto one half of it, spread about one sixth of the refried beans, then avocado, and vegetables, and chopped fresh cilantro if desired. Fold the tortilla in half to close it. Repeat until all of the tortillas are filled.
5. Clean out your skillet and heat it over medium heat. Lightly oil it and then add a folded vegan quesadilla to the pan. (Cook 2 at a time if you have enough space). Cook until lightly browned and crisped, then flip over and repeat on the other side; about 3-4 minutes per side. Repeat until all of the quesadillas are cooked. Serve with salsa of choice!