CHICKPEA, SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE CASSEROLE
· 1 ½ cups brown rice
· 2 ½ cups water
· ¼ tsp fine sea salt
· 1 medium yellow onion, diced
· 4 garlic cloves, minced
· ½ tsp fine sea salt
· Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· ½ tsp chili flakes
· 1 ½ tsp dried rosemary
· 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
· 1 cup artichokes in brine (drained before measuring, chopped)
· 6 packed cups spinach, chopped
· 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 14-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
· 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
· 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
· ½ cup vegan parmesan* (if not vegan, I just sprinkled on some parmesan)
· ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (such as Chosen Foods vegan mayonnaise)
· ½ cup fresh herbs (I like basil or parsley)
· 1 medium garlic clove, minced
· 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Start by cooking the brown rice according to package directions.
2. Spray bottom of a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, about 8 minutes. Add 2-4 Tbs vegetable stock as veggies begin to stick until they are cooked through and brown. Add the pepper, rosemary, thyme, chili flakes, artichokes, spinach, chickpeas, cooked brown rice, balsamic, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil spray and scoop the rice and chickpea mixture into it. Top with ½ cup of vegan parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the aioli by blending together vegan mayonnaise, garlic, herbs, and lemon juice.
6. Serve the casserole warm, with extra parmesan and aioli on top.
*A little easier way is to not really bake this with the cheese, scoop it right out of the pan after mixing it all together and then sprinkl parmesan on top. Saves time and calories.